UNICEF’s vision for integrated, multilevel programming moves beyond approaching parents as recipients of information or education, to a more collaborative partnership where there is a co-construction of support for the child as well as for/with the parents themselves.
Key features include:
1) moving towards strengths-based rather than “deficit-focused” approaches;
2) employing a life course lens;
3) meeting systems where they are and elevating parenting support in existing platforms;
4) explicit articulation of gender-responsive and disability-inclusive approaches;
5) focus on culturally responsive community engagement and empowerment, and promoting enabling environments to support parents and caregivers.